Thursday 5 June 2014

Thankful Thursday

This post is inspired by another blogger who I’ve been reading regularly.  Unfortunately I can’t link you to her blog because it seems to have moved or shut down.  But a shout out to Samara for the inspiration.

The plan is that I will write a thankful Thursday blog post each week.  I want to do this to remind myself of the things I have to be thankful for in my life, and hopefully encourage others to be thankful as well.  I don’t want this to ever turn into a space for the ‘humble brag’, so if it does sound like that to you, please pull me up on it!  I err on the side of pessimism sometimes so I want to remind myself of the things I can thank God for.  I used to have a notebook where I wrote down things to be thankful for at the end of each day, but that fizzled out a while ago.  Hopefully making this a weekly blog thing it will also keep me accountable to actually doing it.  Here it goes!

Encouragement from my husband
This week and last week I’d been feeling stressed out about getting our final assignment done for the semester.  I hadn’t left myself enough time to do it, it was making me feel guilty and worried.  J was very encouraging, reminding me about why I’m at Bible College, telling me not to worry about marks and praying with and for me. 

Kid’s Club
I have a bit of a mixed relationship with Kid’s Club.  Particularly when I have to do the talk, and that was my job last week.  I don’t like public speaking and I just wanted to stay home and work on my assignment so I didn’t really want to go to Kid’s Club.  To top it off I also left at home one of my props for the talk.  However, somehow (through God’s work I’m sure!) it all pulled together.  I thought of some different illustrations and easily-located props to use in the talk, the kids listened pretty well and were great at memorising the Bible memory verse.  “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are” (1 John 3:1).  Please pray with me that these kids would be God’s children by trusting and obeying him. 

Time to spare
Normally I finish my college assignments with minutes to spare.  This means I’m up until midnight on assignment nights, rushing to finish and get all the formatting correct before it hits 11:55pm, the deadline.  But this week I finished and submitted my assignment before dinner.  I was much more calm and had time to check my references conformed to the referencing style.  This was a welcome change and will hopefully help me to aim for this again next time. 

What are you thankful for this week?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachelle,

    I have been meaning to write this comment for awhile now and finally found a moment. I am so excited that you are doing Thankful Thursday- it is such a good thing to cultivate thankfulness in your life, especially when so often we fall into the trap of focusing on what we don't have. You are right, my blog is no longer there. I ended up taking it down as I was having so many issues with is showing up when you googled my first and last name (despite my last name being nowhere on the blog- it was a back issue). I decided that it was easier to just take it down than to risk my work (and students) discovering it and having bigger issues to deal with as a result. Joel and I discussed launching a new one but just haven't gotten around to it. For now I am enjoying the break from blogging and spying on other people's lives ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear from you Samara! Thanks for your encouragement :)
      Sad to hear about your blog but that's a good reason to be cautious. I'm glad to hear your enjoying the break at least, but I miss hearing from you and I'm sure others do too. I hope life is going well!

      Delete